Monday, March 23, 2015

Recipe - Breakfast - Oatmeal





OATMEAL!

I will start by confessing that the texture of this oatmeal is NOT my favorite. But I eat it because it is good for me and it is what my body needs.
I really try to add flavors that are low in calories and low in sugar. You may have to experiment as I did to find something you can live with.
There are plenty of 100 calorie oatmeal options at your grocery; however, what I've found by reading labels is that if it tastes great it is probably high in salt and sugar. Some I looked at were even beyond my daily allowance for just one cup! Eek!
I certainly don't want to get that from my oatmeal and it was pointed out to me that loading up on sugar during the breakfast meal is not good fuel for your body and will almost counteract what you're trying to accomplish with the oatmeal to begin with.

This was my recipe today:
(I added a bit of my protein shake to help with creaminess)


Ingredients:

1/3 c. Coach's Oats (dry)
1 med Granny Smith Apple peeled and diced
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c. milk or protein shake (optional)

Putting it together:

Place all ingredients EXCEPT vanilla into microwave safe bowl, stir just a bit. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Let it set for 1-2 minutes, add vanilla and milk or protein shake and stir.

**These oats can be purchased in a bulk bag as pictured at Costco. I think they also make a single serving packet because I received one in a racer's goodie bag recently but I haven't investigated on where to buy them.

**If you prefer Maple & Brown Sugar flavor it is easy enough to change this up: instead of apple, sugar and vanilla add 3 tsp brown sugar and 1/4 c sugar free maple syrup.

**I have also tried adding these oats dry to my protein shakes and blending them with banana, its pretty decent, you definitely can crunch on the oats while drinking so be careful, but the point is to get the oats in you!




Eat it for your health!

3.1runmom

No comments:

Post a Comment